Thursday, March 11, 2010

Growing in Compassion

from Friday, February 26

Friends,

I hope you are having a great Friday. Many of you have shared your reflections on Lent with me, from what you’ve given up to what you’ve taken on. Thank you – and I will say that, as with most disciplines, the fruit is seen with consistent and patient practice.

I am working on a slideshow for worship Sunday and have, in my head, called it, ‘Glimpses of Our Community.’ Basically on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I carried our camera around with me and when I was out and about took pictures of the things I saw. You will see some of these in worship on Sunday and as you do I’ll ask you to think about our little patch of earth and all her needs. This idea has been inspired by the following verse:

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!

~ Luke 13.34

Jesus looked with compassion on this city, the city that housed the Temple (the dwelling place of God) and all the religious leaders, this city that was unable to hear God’s word that he brought to them in person. Was Jesus angry about his rejection? No. Jesus wanted to shelter them under his wings and protect them and nurture them and keep them warm. The imagery of the mother hen is startling, really, isn’t it? What does this mean to you?

Today, where is God calling you to be more compassionate? Where is God seeking to give you his nurture and embrace?

I hope to see you in worship Sunday.

Blessings,

Ande