Friday, December 10, 2010

Hope in the Lord

Happy are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God.

~ Psalm 146.5

Friends,

During this Advent Season I, as you pastor, am supposed to tell you not to be distracted by the commercialization of Christmas and the hubbub it brings. I accept this as part of my job. Not too long ago I was in a local store and saw the decorations and the lights and heard the carols and I thought what you probably have thought, as well: Thanksgiving can’t be too far away! (ba-dum-bum)

Early this morning at the coffee shop I finished a unique memoir written by a woman who had, in a way, lost her husband. He had been struck by a car and had suffered severe head trauma and in order for his life to be saved, part of his brain had to be removed. As a result of his injuries and his treatment, he no longer had a way of remembering the past or looking forward to the future. All he had was today, or, more specifically, this very moment.

As his wife coped and tried to meet his needs, she found herself really only living for today and in the moment, as well. No longer was the past comforting to her and tomorrow for her was the great unknown. Over and over again I was struck wondering, Where is her hope?

Thus far in Advent we have lit the Candle of Hope and the Candle of Peace and as we light them it is important to remember that we don’t just passively observe these things (Hope, Peace, Joy and Love). As we light these candles we make commitments and we make promises. Do you realize that one of the ways God plans to bring hope into this world is for his people – you and me – to act hopeful? And really the only way we can do this is to place our hope in Jesus Christ. And certainly God calls you and me to bring his Peace, to point to him and to work for the things that will bring Peace. We also must embrace the One who brings us peace.

Sunday we’ll focus a bit on the Candle of Joy and one of the joyous things we’ll do is sing the Cantata. As a member of the choir I am excited about singing these songs. As a member of the church I look forward to the music and to worship. As a father I look forward to bringing my children. As a son I look forward to my parents being here. And as your pastor I hope to see you in worship on Sunday.

Blessings,

AndeMyers

Comments - email me at ande.myers@gmail.com